10.04.2009

A few of my favorite things...

I have been thinking about posting my very favorite art supplies, but have hesitated because I am SO new in this field. I just started doing this a few months ago in Julie Prichard's Layer Love class. But, through trial and error and a LOT of reading on various blogs and in books, I definitely have found a few items that I know I love, and probably will always use.

#1: Golden Fluid Acrylics



             I could go on and on all day about these paints. They are artist grade paints, but have a lower viscosity, and therefore spread beautifully on my watercolor pages. They are expensive little devils, but I have bought a few colors at a time to try and work up my collection of colors. I also have tried Liquitex Basic Acrylics (Well, I still have them)...and they are decent. They are student-grade, so they have less pigment in them than artist-grade, and they don't spread as easily as the fluids. I bought a bunch on sale, so I am using them until they are gone. They do the trick, but I prefer the Golden's MUCH better.




#2  NeoColor II Crayons

These make me giddy with excitement. First of all, who doesn't like crayons?! Secondly, they come in a zillion colors. Thirdly, they are water-soluble. (The II's, not the I's) Therefore, you can scribble anywhere you'd like with these bad boys, add some water, and BOOM...just like paint. So great. The only thing to keep in mind is that you can't write over them with pens, and if you get it wet, it will re-activate the crayon. Minor details. I love them.



These also make me giddy with excitement. Ok, all of these do, because I love colors, and now I have so many various ways to apply that color! These water-based pens are being discontinued (oh no!!). So, search and grab them while you can because these are opaque, vibrant, permanent and can write over pretty much anything.


These are my main items I use in almost every journal entry I do. I also have hand-crafted some rubber stamps, and soon will teach myself to make my own stencils. Those will be for another day!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn ! You sure have some juicy choices in tools - I have to say that since I started using Golden paints, it is hard to go back to anything else. One thing I also love about them is how a little goes a long way and how you can add them to the cheaper paints and give them a much need boost in color.
    I so appreciate your comment on my "flowerness" post. After checking out your brand new blog, I can already tell we have a lot in common, from the great teachers you choose for inspiration (ie Julie and Michelle are pals of mine in Blogland too !)to the colors you choose to express your self. I hope you will be a lurker no more !Besides, anoyone who knows and loves HHF needs to be a friend of mine - another coincidence ? My dad and I also shared a love of HHF !It is the soundtrack of many summers with him at our cottage in the woods.
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI the sharpie poster paint pens have been discontinued. I don't recommend stocking up on them only because over time the white seems to act funny...I may have found a substitute! I'm still testing it though ;)

    ReplyDelete